Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
Close

Search

  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Subscribe
cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
Close

Search

  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Subscribe
Home/Uncategorized/Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says
Uncategorized

Wildfires: Phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says

By Shivani Rawat
August 18, 2026 3 Min Read

Wildfire phone alert was ‘entirely appropriate’, government says

8 hours ago

Joe Coughlan

PA Media A hand holding an iPhone which includes a notification of an emergency alert from the UK Government on wildfires.PA Media
The alert was sent to mobile phones across England and Wales last Friday

The government has defended its decision to send an emergency phone alert warning of wildfires across England and Wales last week as “entirely appropriate”.

Millions of mobile phones bleeped with a “severe alert” notification on Friday, stating there was a “very high risk of wildfires nationally”.

The lack of advance warning for the alert was criticised by charities and domestic abuse survivors, who said there was little chance to protect those hiding secret phones.

The prime minister’s official spokesperson said on Monday the first duty of government was to “keep people safe” and the alert had been sent “after a direct request from fire and rescue services on the front line”.

They added that at the time of the alert there were 43 fires and 11 major incidents which “stretched resources to the very limit” and required military support.

Most people started to receive the alert from 19:00 BST on Friday, with a message cautioning against the use of disposable barbeques, naked flames or fireworks.

The notification was the biggest use yet of the emergency alert system and Prime Minister Andy Burnham urged the public to take it “seriously”.

Wildfire alert sounds while The One Show live on air

A Cabinet Office press release about the alert, posted to its website at about 18:45 on Friday, was missed by many in the media, which meant there was little warning to the public.

Some campaigners have said this potentially jeopardised domestic abuse victims trying to hide secret phones they use to seek support and try to escape abusers.

Women’s Aid, the national charity aiming to end domestic abuse, is calling for more forewarning of alerts wherever possible.

Veronica Oakeshott, the charity’s head of external affairs, told BBC News: “Survivors of domestic abuse frequently turn to second phones to help them access lifesaving support or flee from abuse.”

It is vital the devices stay hidden, she said, adding: “We would urge the government to forewarn the public that alerts might be issued, when possible.”

A government spokesperson previously said it was working closely with domestic abuse charities for tests of the system.

It has also been reported that senior government figures were discussing whether or not to send the alert hours before, on Friday morning.

Phil Garrigan, chair of the National Fire Chiefs Council, said on Monday he was grateful to the public for the response to the emergency alert.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme his organisation had seen a decrease in the number of wildfires emergency services have responded to in the last 72 hours.

Garrigan added that there were still four major incidents declared in Hampshire, Cambridgeshire, South Wales and the West Midlands.

Politicians, including Reform UK’s Laura Anne Jones and Andrew RT Davies for the Conservatives, have also questioned why the emergency alert was sent to phones in Welsh before it arrived in English.

The UK government did not comment directly, but said under the Welsh Language Act, it has to send alerts in the Welsh language first and sends alerts bilingually where possible.

More on this story

Emergency phone alert put domestic abuse victims at risk, campaigners say

Emergency alert sent in Welsh then English causes debate

Wildfires
Domestic abuse

Original source: https://www.bbc.com/

Author

Shivani Rawat

Shivani Rawat is a content writer with 7 years of experience creating helpful, reader-friendly articles for Geeksscan.com. She covers travel, business, technology, cars, and finance, focusing on simple explanations and practical tips. Shivani completed her graduation from Delhi University and now writes to make complex topics easy for everyone.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Europe wildfires: Lecornu heckled over French emergency response

Next

Backing for Amazon MGM Studios’ plan for Bray Film Studios

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • This No. 1 best-selling steam cleaner just dropped to an all-time low on Amazon
  • Kelly Osbourne wows in leopard-print swimsuit as she steps ‘away from the madness’
  • Portland parent banned from school events after opposing gender identity assignment files lawsuit
  • Boy’s jaw-dropping Jersey Shore find turns out to be millions of years old | Fox News Video
  • Shocking prehistoric discovery on NJ beach ‘100%’ came from colossal ancient predator

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Copyright 2026 — Cgstatus. All rights reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by