Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
Close

Search

  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Subscribe
cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
Close

Search

  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Subscribe
Home/Uncategorized/France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
Uncategorized

France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s

By Shivani Rawat
August 15, 2026 2 Min Read

France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s

8 hours ago

Jaroslav Lukiv

AFP via Getty Images Teenage girls use social media on their smartphones in France. Photo: July 2026AFP via Getty Images

France’s top court has struck down a ban on social media for under-15s, saying it infringed upon freedom of expression.

The legislation was backed by French lawmakers in July, making it the first European country to block young people from the platforms, after concerns over the harmful effects on children’s mental health.

Friday’s ruling by the Constitutional Council overrides the ban, which Emmanuel Macron had pledged would be introduced in stages from September.

Responding to the news, the French president immediately asked Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu to prepare a new draft that would take into account all the council’s points.

After lawmakers voted through the bill last month, Lecornu referred parts of the legislation to the council – a nine-member authority that checks whether a law complies with the constitution – for review.

The Constitutional Council said it had found that Article 1 of the legislation “constitutes an infringement that is neither appropriate, necessary, nor proportionate” to the freedom of expression and communication for under-15s.

The ruling also raised concerns over the law’s requirement to provide proof of age to access online services and said it failed to establish “the legal safeguards necessary”.

Macron’s office said after the ruling that the French government would work “as quickly as possible” to propose a new draft and said the president was determined to see the reform implemented by early 2027.

The original legislation had envisaged that from September all those under-15 would not be able to open accounts, and verification would be required on all new accounts. And from January, this would have applied to all existing accounts.

Opponents have repeatedly questioned the law’s viability and raised concerns over privacy, the efficacy of age-verification tools, the risks of young people bypassing them, and how quickly the ban has been designed and brought in.

Australia was the first country to introduce last December a social media ban for those under-16, although it is widely acknowledged that many in the country continue to use the platforms.

Legislation restricting young people’s access to social media has been ramping up around Europe in the past few months.

In May, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen proposed a “social media delay” for children in the EU, saying new legislation could be put forward in months.

In the UK, former British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer announced in June that under-16s in the UK will be banned from social media from January 2027. An optional midnight curfew for UK teens aged 16 and 17 was also announced.

Did Australia’s under-16s social media ban work?

Social media ban – bold and blunt, but no silver bullet

Social media
France
Europe

Original source: https://www.bbc.com/

Author

Shivani Rawat

Shivani Rawat is a content writer with 7 years of experience creating helpful, reader-friendly articles for Geeksscan.com. She covers travel, business, technology, cars, and finance, focusing on simple explanations and practical tips. Shivani completed her graduation from Delhi University and now writes to make complex topics easy for everyone.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

Canadians are still boycotting US travel. Here’s where they’re going instead

Next

Since the Taliban took power, does the West have any influence?

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Wellness habits you can start today – at no (or little) cost
  • Australian hiker’s body recovered as police probe error reporting she was alive
  • Will Harry’s return heal rift with his brother? Don’t hold your breath
  • Israeli settlers return to Kadim in West Bank two decades after it was evacuated
  • What happened to Harry and Meghan’s American dream?

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Copyright 2026 — Cgstatus. All rights reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by