Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
Close

Search

  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Subscribe
cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

cgstatus logo cgstatus logo Cgstatus

Latest Blog

  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
  • Home
  • Business
  • Cars
    • Used Cars
  • Finance
    • Insurance
  • Technology
  • Travel
  • News
Close

Search

  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
Subscribe
Home/Uncategorized/Cannock’s Prince of Wales Theatre expected to be saved
Uncategorized

Cannock’s Prince of Wales Theatre expected to be saved

By Shivani Rawat
August 22, 2026 2 Min Read

Theatre earmarked for demolition expected to be saved

12 hours ago

Richard PriceWest Midlands

Cannock Chase Council A large red brick building with multiple sections set back from one another and a ramp to the right side. There is a sign above the glass entrance doors which reads Prince of Wales Centre. The section to the left of the entrance has a number of archways containing colourful murals.Cannock Chase Council
The Prince of Wales Theatre in Cannock has been shut since April 2025

A theatre threatened with demolition is now expected to be saved.

Following a cabinet meeting on Thursday, Cannock Chase Council said the Prince of Wales Theatre would instead undergo refurbishment.

The decision is subject to detailed design work, an operator being appointed, and a business case being reviewed before a final commitment is made, the authority said.

“Our residents and town centre shop owners told us they want a thriving theatre, so we are doing the right thing for our community,” said deputy leader Richard Craddock. “We could not have stood by and seen it razed to the ground – that would have ripped the cultural heart out of our district.”

The theatre has been closed since April 2025 to make way for wider regeneration plans in Cannock town centre.

A multi-storey car park and empty shopping centre have already been knocked down.

Craddock said they had “reached a critical juncture” for the town centre’s future and wanted to work with other political groups to explore what else could be achieved.

‘Fantastic news’

The council has about £14m remaining from government funds secured to help with the wider regeneration work, some of which will be set aside for the theatre.

Joshua McTaggart, CEO of Theatres Trust, described it as “fantastic news” and said the organisation’s belief that everyone should have access to theatre was “particularly vital” in areas where the only local one was at risk.

“We added the Prince of Wales to our Theatres at Risk Register in 2025 when the council announced plans to close [it] and we have been in conversation with [them] since then,” he said.

“We have impressed upon the council the need to fully understand the benefits the theatre brings to the area and what the impact of its loss would have been.”

Work is ongoing to ensure proposals are cost-effective and achievable, the authority added.

Follow BBC Stoke & Staffordshire on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.

More on this story

Under-threat theatre may be saved, council says

New council leader to look at theatre’s future

Theatre bid categorically ruled out, council says

Museum and theatre closure in cost-cutting plan

Related internet links

Cannock Chase District Council

Theatre
Cannock Chase Council
Cannock
Regeneration
Urban planning

Original source: https://www.bbc.com/

Author

Shivani Rawat

Shivani Rawat is a content writer with 7 years of experience creating helpful, reader-friendly articles for Geeksscan.com. She covers travel, business, technology, cars, and finance, focusing on simple explanations and practical tips. Shivani completed her graduation from Delhi University and now writes to make complex topics easy for everyone.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Previous

El Niño: Panama Canal to cut number of ships passing through

Next

Starmer donates biography of himself to Downing Street library

No Comment! Be the first one.

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • Meet the Bolton woman wearing fancy dress every day for charity
  • Dozens of co-ordinated arson attacks hit southern Thailand
  • Liverpool news: Trent Alexander-Arnold still hopes for ‘understanding’ after Liverpool exit
  • Robots compete in boxing, football and sprinting at World Humanoid Games
  • Boxing: Teofimo Lopez beats Rolando Romero to claim WBA welterweight title

Recent Comments

No comments to show.
Copyright 2026 — Cgstatus. All rights reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by